Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

2.27.2009

2/27/09 Final Thoughts for Applicants

Since it's the last odd-numbered day in February, this is my last post explicitly dedicated to the future PCVs out there. For those of you late to the party, just look for posts with the PCinfo tag. :)

I'm delighted that this has proven to be such a popular topic. My PCinfo posts have been read more times than the other 200-some posts combined, which tells me that there's a hunger out there for this information. The official Peace Corps site actually has a huge amount of information, but it's poorly organized; even if you know that the answer you're looking for is there, it can be hard to find.

I'm sorry it's so hard for interested folks to find straightforward answers to most of their likely questions. The problem is that PC service varies immensely, based on region, sector, and even (unfortunately) race and gender.

Will I have telephone access? Will I integrate quickly into my community? Will I work in a school? How close will I live to the nearest PCV?


The answer to all of these, and to so many more, is simply, It depends.

That said, I've tried to provide helpful information. If you are thinking about applying to the Peace Corps, please refer to what I've posted. Peace Corps is a fantastic life choice, and I don't know anyone who's regretted the decision to fill out the application. Tomorrow, innocentablogged will return to its usual diet of snapshots of my life, reflections on local culture, and descriptions of my work. I hope you keep reading, but if not, best wishes as you think through this important decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps