Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

3.07.2008

Overdue update - the flight to Morocco

I am still on a non-qwerty keyboard, but I have more time to update - almost an hour - so hopefully will be able to write a substantive post. I am slowly adapting to this keyboard - m is where ; should be, a q w and z are all mixed together... And I still have not found the apostrophe or exclamation point.

OK; back to our story.

March 4th 2008

I wrote this in my journal while sitting in the rooftop terrace of Hotel ------- in -----, Morocco. Since my last substantive blog update... We went to JFK airport from Philly on two big buses. En route, I chatted with a ,arried couple who remind me a LOT of Matt and Holly. One of the many coincidences of the trip thus far: after spending four hours getting to know her, we ended up sitting side-by-side for the seven hour flight. While at JFK, we had a long wait to check in, since we arived at the airport at 2 and checi-in opened 4 hours before the 7pm departure, ie at 4pm. Hey, I just found the apostrophe exclamation point

My former roommate's family had come to see her off, so we all had dinner / late lunch together in the food court - last American pizza for a while - then headed to security around 5. Lines were long but fast-moving, and we were at the gate zell before 530, the putative boarding time. I even had time to call Cingular and cancel my cell phone. Turns out there's no cancellation penalty for Peace Corps Volunteers exclamation point

I also got in two last phone calls and hung out with one of my new buddies. 'Twas all good.

The plane ride was long but fairly dull, after the magic DING, which happened just as the fun of watching the eastern seaboard lights had faded. (Oh, and we taxied for 45 minutes. Literally.) During the flight, I dozed, slept, chatted, ate dinner and breakfast, and observed / contributed to a round of Scrabble, and played Go Fish - not quite in that order.

We approached ------ as the sun was rising, so it zas a bit challenging to look ahead to catch a glimpse of the city. Also, it was incredibly cloudy. I squealed whenever I caught sight of building contours through the haze, but mostly saw undifferentiated white.

...and now I've hit my curfew, so will have to finish this later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps