Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

10.28.2008

10/10/08 Snow Day update

The precipitation hasn’t let up all day (it’s now 12:15, and I’ve been up since 6:30), but it keeps changing form. I guess it’s what a meteorologist would call a “wintery mix”. We’ve gotten freezing rain, sleet, snow, regular rain, and hail. It’s kind of a mess. :) I keep experimenting with ways to keep myself and my laptop warm enough to function. One thing that works for me is warm food. Plus, cooking it = standing in front of a gas stove and warming my hands on the gas flame.

So far today I’ve had a bowl of oatmeal, two hard-boiled eggs (but only one yolk – Sheba got the other one), two cups of tea, two cups of cocoa, and macaroni & cheese. Ah, Kraft mac & cheese. I got several boxes over the summer in a care package (love you, Jo!), and have been hoarding them carefully to make them last.

When I got the eggs, I was planning to make a tomato-and-onion omelette, but was stymied by the lack of a frying pan. Either Zahra survived two years without one, or else she took hers back to America with her, or else it broke and she didn’t replace it. Regardless, that’s on the top of my list for my next souq run. [10/13 Update: No, I'd already used it, then washed it, then put it away in an unlikely place, and then forgot all about it. Whoops. But at least I do have a frying pan, which is a good thing. Oh, and tomato-and-onion omelettes with a minced small fresh red onion and a dash of salt = mmmm.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps