Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

10.07.2008

9/27 – 9/28 Night of Power

It’s 3am. I can’t say that I’ve been awake all night – I did doze off a couple times – but right now I’m going strong. The 27th night of Ramadan, usually translated as Night of Power, most commonly referred to just as "seb3a o asherin" – 27 – is the night that Moroccans stay up until sunrise to commemorate the night when Mohammed received communication from heaven. The men take several trips to the mosque, recite prayers, listen to readings from the Qur’an, etc. Most of the women I know stay home, although women are invited (and encouraged) to come to the mosque as well.

It’s one of the holiest nights in the Moroccan calendar, and in addition to prayer, includes the sacrifice and roasting of sheep or cows. It’s spent with family, or is supposed to be. I’m spending it with my Peace Corps family, not my host family.

Why? Long story…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps