Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

3.23.2009

3/21/09 Tree Day!

The official Arbor Day Foundation website (arborday.org) makes no reference to Morocco, so I don't know if today's Jour Mondiale des Arbres should be translated as "Arbor Day" or just "International Day of Trees," but either way, it's an excuse to celebrate arboreal splendor.

I've spent the last few months laying groundwork for a tree-planting today. This week has had a massive upswing in effort: I've met with every single influential person in this village, and nearly all of them more than once. The result: Thursday, 500 trees were delivered to my village. Today, about half were planted; tomorrow, the other half will be. I'll go into more detail about that tomorrow, plus I hope to post pictures (though blogspot is being difficult lately, so there may be more of a wait on those).

There are tree-plantings and other environmental activities going on all over Morocco today. As a life-long tree-hugger, this makes me very, very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps