Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

9.12.2008

August 26, 2008 Dinner with a new family

So that was my first dinner in Berberville without Ama. Almost my first one not in Ama’s house, but not quite – the family matriarch has thrown two dinner parties since I’ve been here. Those were elaborate, multi-course feasts for the entire extended family of four siblings, their spouses, and all the kids. Tonight I ate my first family-style dinner in someone else’s house.

I’d picked up some spaghetti and tomato sauce from the market, and was planning a simple, all-American meal, but as I walked home, I passed my neighbor, who invited me to go to her place for dinner. I said yes, and am so glad I did! I got a snapshot of a new family, got to know some of the neighbors, and met yet more cousins, all in one evening. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps