Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

7.15.2008

July 10, 2008 Fossil hash

The aHli (naked mountain) behind our house is a rock hound’s dream come true. I’ve climbed around on it several times now, and every time I find rocks that make me happy. The last few times, my little siblings have come with me, and they’ve all gotten into the business of finding iHla (good) rocks for me. At first, I was afraid to reject any of their offerings, lest I hurt their feelings, but when I had several kilos of rocks in front of me, I began getting more selective.

I have vermetids, mudcracks, tiny clams that remind me of my thesis fieldwork on the Florida coast, big brachiopods that remind me of Geo 20, and enough fossil hash specimens to start my own gallery. :) I also have several soft-sediment fossils that remind me of the Ediacrin Fauna (sp?). I can’t identify most of what I see in the soft seds, but I plan to take them to the Geology department of The Professor’s university next time I’m in Springfield. Hopefully someone there will know what I’ve got. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps