Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

7.20.2008

July 19, 2008 New skills

Things I do now that I didn’t do before I came to Morocco:

  • Handwash laundry
  • Use Tide as dishwashing detergent
  • Cut my fingernails with a paring knife
  • Cover my hair with a scarf (when it’s dirty, not for any cultural or religious reasons)
  • Use shampoo as bath soap
  • Gasp when I see women in shorts or tank tops
  • Carry my passport whenever I leave home
  • Put on bug repellent before I go to sleep
  • Peel tomatoes
  • Shower only once a week
  • Keep my nails as short as possible
  • Speak a Berber dialect
  • Dice an onion while holding it
  • Tolerate flies (usually)
  • Speak French at least twice a week
  • Sweep daily

Things that I used to think I couldn’t live without (but check it out! I’m still here):

  • Daily email access
  • Running water
  • Western toilets
  • Washing machines
  • TV
  • Dependable cell phone coverage
  • Unlimited contact with friends and family

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps