Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

7.15.2008

July 9, 2008 Tigni

My little host sister and little cousin just came in, shouting that it’s raining outside (which I know, since I’ve been listening to it for the past half hour). Cuz was holding a handful of what looked like those chubby pretzel bites you sometimes find. That excited me – I’ve never seen pretzels in Morocco (though admittedly I didn’t look for them at Marjane) – and I asked what they were. “Tigni,” said my cousin. The word sounded familiar, but I couldn’t remember it, so that didn’t really help. I popped one in my mouth, and discovered that it was a date. That’s when I recognized the word – they use the same word to refer to whole dates, like these, or a mashed-up concoction of dates and raisins (zbib, but pronounce it carefully – the first syllable is a profanity).

When my sis and cuz saw me chewing a date whole, their eyes bugged out. They began exclaiming, in overlapping voices, that I needed to be careful. I didn’t recognize the word they were using for the threat I faced, but quickly figured out that they meant the date pit, which is about the size and shape of a peanut, and hard as a rock. These girls (and presumably most Moroccans) bite dates in half, pick out the pit, and then eat the second half. They were alarmed lest I crack a tooth or otherwise harm myself with my tigni snack. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps