Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

4.24.2008

Bedecked and bedazzling...

Tonight I picked up my tjlabit, aka jelabba. I went to the fabric shop and tailor the last time we were here in [Mountain City], and now that we're back from CBT, I returned to pick up the finished ... garment.

Imagine a cross between a dress and a monk's habit, and you'll more or less have the right mental image. It reaches to about 6" off the ground, and has just enough of a v-neck to show off my necklace. It's blue-grey, with a slight sheen, and I found a fabric with an interesting texture and a very subtly embroidered flower every foot or so. The result is something that's understated but pretty. Of course, I haven't seen myself in a mirror bigger than the palm of my hand, so I'm mostly basing this on other people's comments. But I'm willing to believe that they're not lying, and I really do look zweena. :)

Tomorrow morning we'll get our site assignments, inshallah. Some of my PCT friends have been really tweaking out over this, but I'm staying pretty chill; I haven't yet seen a part of Morocco that didn't have its own natural beauty, and wherever I am, I'll have the opportunity to do good. So what's to stress over? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps