Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

4.27.2008

My Host Family

Ama is a gourmet chef, I think, or at least a masterful sukuzina (cook). She served me cupcakes with chocolate filling for kaskrut (tea) after I arrived. That’s the best pastry I’ve had in Morocco, no exaggerating. She offered to teach me how to cook, and I was thrilled to say yes. [Note from later – her couscous is also the best I’ve ever had, in Morocco or anywhere else. Wowsers.]

Bba is a tour guide. I’ll learn more about him when he returns. I’ve heard that he speaks some French and English, lHumdullah.

There’s a 16-year-old sister, the daughter of Banu’s previous marriage. She goes to college (junior high) and lives with her grandmother.

Then there’s 11-year-old Mohammed, a 9-year-old brother, and a 5-year-old sister. I don’t know them yet, but that will come.

The current topic of conversation is my Moroccan name. The one my previous host family gave me, Eliaz, has bee universally rejected, mostly because Elias (which sounds pretty much the same) is a boy’s name. On the table are Naddia and Yasmin – both nice, though I’m leaning towards something Biblical. (Is Quranical a word?) Elizabeth isn’t in the Qur’an – I checked, and her husband Zachariah and son John the Baptist both are, but she got left out – but Sarah and Miriam (Mary) are. I wish I’d thought to ask H** what other women are in the Qur’an…

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of your service and dedication to the peace corps. We enjoy reading all of your "adventures". Say hi to "b" for us. Thanks for being a friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 Koran baby names for girls.
    1. The girl's name Asia \a-sia\ is pronounced AY-zhah. It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "sunrise". May also derive from Assyrian "asu" meaning "east". Modern name, usually used in reference to the continent. Also sometimes used as a short form of a name ending with -ia, such as Aspasia. According to the Koran, Asia was the name of the Pharoah's wife who raised the infant Moses. Asia is also a variant of Aisha, the name of Muhammad's favorite wife, one of the four "perfect women". See also Fatima, Khadija, and Mary.

    Asia has 7 variant forms: Aja, Asiah, Asianne, Asya, Asyah, Azha and Azia.

    2. he girl's name Fatima \f(a)-ti-ma\ is pronounced FAH-tee-mah. It is of Arabic origin, and its meaning is "baby's nurse". Also possibly "one who abstains". The name of the favorite daughter of the prophet Muhammad; one of the four "perfect women" mentioned in the Koran. See also Aisha, Khadijah, and Mary. Fatima is also the name of Bluebeard's last wife in some versions of that tale.

    Fatima has 5 variant forms: Fateema, Fateemah, Fatimah, Fatma and Fatmah.

    3. Add to favorites (0) | Email this

    The girl's name Hafsa \ha(f)-sa\ is of Arabic origin. Name of a seventh-century person chosen, after Muhammad's death, to be the keeper of the first written copy of the Koran.

    Hafsa has 2 variant forms: Hafsah and Hafza.

    4. The girl's name Khadija \k-hadija, kha-di-ja\ is pronounced kah-DEE-jah. It is of Arabic origin, and its meaning is "early baby". Muhammad's first wife, named in the Koran as one of the four perfect women. (The others were Fatima, Mary, and Aisha.) Familiar in modern times due to the character Khadijah on the TV show "Living Single".

    Khadija has 9 variant forms: Kadeeja, Kadejah, Kadesha, Kadija, Kadisha, Kadiya, Khadijah, Khadiya and Khadyja.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz!
    This is the first time I've left a comment, so bear with me. I'm not sure my comments are going to be worthy enough for posting on your marvelously educational blog! I am eager to know if you will be posting any pictures! Your description of the mountains shows a keen eye for seeing the beauty that others may miss. The terms "beauty, order, grandeur" came to mind as I read your most recent blog. I always loved knowing the cause of different rock formations and being able to see it in the way mountains emerge from their surroundings. It truly sounds like you have found your niche! I look forward to more discoveries!!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps