Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

4.04.2008

CBT Week 2!

4/4/8 (…and then will come the Eight…)

Back in our village, whose name I know how to write in Arabic script. :) It’s great to be back here. It’s the little things – like the fact that the tooth the baby broke when I was here two weeks ago is now a fully fledged tighmas like its neighbors. It’s being able to write a paragraph about my day and Little Sis’s, only having to check my notes a couple times (usually for the spelling of one of the meals: l-fdor (breakfast), imkli (lunch), imnsi (dinner)). OK, so I only understood 10% of what she said. And she’s 10, so her vocabulary’s not complex. But I did understand that 10%, and was able to piece together a second-grade-worthy essay out of it.

I do think I wrote essays like this for my second grade teacher, but it’s still a smidge disheartening to realize that a three-year-old has a better vocabulary than I do. Sigh. Imiq simiq. Keep celebrating the victories, and trust that the struggles will diminish with time. And the family does love helping me with vocabulary. It’s not always completeful – today they kept flicking the lights on and off for ssigh and sxsi, when what I really wanted was their present participle.

Grateful for:
* the fifteen cheek-kisses from Sis-in-Law and the three from Little Sis and the hand kisses from Mma, Middle Bro, and Little Bro.
* being taken into the confidence of two PCT friends – even though their struggle is with each other!
* the still-shifting friendships of the group, which mean that no one is locked into or out of any set; who sits at which table any given meal is still nearly random. (In some ways this feels like junior high, so every time it’s proven not to be, it’s a good thing!)
* my story getting published soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps