Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

4.09.2008

Home from Souq Day (aka BIG NEWS!!!)

We came back to our little village, gorged on chocolate, and had “independent study time”. I mostly-accidentally slipped into another PCT’s tutoring session, meaning that I got to spend an extra hour with our awesome LCF that included her speaking mostly in Tamazight. Slowly and clearly. It was fabulous. :D At 7, Mma showed up with Little Sis to say Where Have You Been. H** explained, and it was all good. I think. Then, while walking home, my phone rang. I didn’t recognize the number, so I was tempted to let it go to voicemail…but then I remembered on the third ring that (1) incoming calls are free, and (2) I don’t have voicemail set up in Morocco. Lo and behold…it was the editor of my story!! Forty-five minutes later, I find out that my little story is being expanded to be the feature story! They’re rewriting it to make it THREE TIMES AS LONG!! :D :D :D

It was hard to have the conversation with the editor while walking uphill from school towards our house, but I figured it would be even harder to talk to him over the sounds of the TV (which is always on) and seven people’s conversation, so I paused outside the little house. I set down my notebook and sat outside to talk. As the conversation was winding down, it began to sprinkle rain, and Little Sis – who had been hovering around, entertaining herself, the whole time I was on the phone – began pointing out that we really ought to get inside. I got up to get my notebook and go in…and realized that I was sitting outside someone else’s house. Whoops. The houses are mostly identical, except for the color of the door, and between the gathering twilight and my being distracted with the phone call, I just hadn’t noticed. Eep! Good thing I had Little Sis there to prevent me from knocking on a stranger’s door. :)

Oh – one final good thing from today: the baby is standing on his own! Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps